Monday, August 18, 2014

West Coast Living! The Next Chapter.


Wow, what a ride these past few months have been. My job has recently landed me in sunny San Diego and it’s an absolutely breath taking place to start a new life. After some painful goodbyes to my family, I have taken this adventure head on, and loving every second of it. Now let me just say, moving to California has also been extremely eye opening in terms of health and vitality…. Everyone here is in shape!! It is vastly different from the world of fast food and Philly cheesesteaks that I am used to, with yogi masters and acai bowls around every corner, it makes it easy to adapt to the lifestyle.

Since moving here a month and a half ago I have trimmed down significantly, and realized one very important lesson – snacking kills progress. Living at my parents’ house in NJ the last month before I moved was very detrimental to my fitness progress, as I was in close proximity to snack foods and binge triggers. Little did I realize just how much those handfuls of excess calories were adding up.  Once I settled into my new home and went to put on the bikini, I realized just how much work had to be done. That mindless snacking had my shorts fitting too tightly and my confidence at an all time low. Instead of dwelling on the flaws and eating my feelings, I knew it was time to put some work in.

The past month I have slimmed down and toned back up, and realized just how much emphasis is put on diet and less on the work out. Although I still exercise daily, I have been focusing more on the snacking and less on the lifting to see progress. The good news is this can be done without sacrificing too much.
Here are a few tips I have learned upon moving to the healthy city of San Diego:

Avoid late night snacking: try brushing your teeth after dinner, this helps with cravings
Don't buy the junk food - if you don't have it, you can't eat it
Give into cravings upon occasion - I still eat frozen yogurt twice a week, but I walk there instead of drive
Find healthy alternatives to snack on if you need it: I use almond butter when I want something salty and savory
Acai bowls really are delicious and California really is beautiful.





No comments:

Post a Comment