Monday, August 25, 2014

My Love/Hate Relationship with Running


Let’s be real, running sucks. No matter how much I want to love it, I still revert back to the basic fact that running sucks. I am swimmer so this whole soaked in sweat, feet pounding pavement thing is a serious adjustment I had to make… but I’ll admit it, it’s growing on me. My advice to readers is to take it slow and set weekly goals for yourself. Don’t expect to throw on those Nikes and start running a 5k in a matter of days, these things take time. Personally, I started with a run/walk for a mile a day until I gradually started getting more comfortable with it. I will never be a long distance runner, but nowadays I am putting in at least two miles of steady running (sometimes jogging) a day. So what keeps me motivated?


Rise and shine: Getting my run in before work. Although it is so much easier to hit the snooze button, I have found I have a longer and more productive run when I wake up and go for it. Not only do I not have to dread the fact that I still have to exercise after a long work day,  but I also have improved energy levels throughout the day. Also, at 6am I get to catch some pretty awesome sunrises.



 Have a playlist ready: Music can make all the difference during a run. Find your own soundtrack, sometimes that  upbeat groove is all it takes to push an extra mile. Some of my steady “go to” pick me up songs? Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing and Lupe Fiasco’s The Show Goes On 
Track your progress: Apps like Runkeeper and Map my Run are great tools to help track your running journey. You’d be surprised how motivating it is to see you went that extra mile (pun intended)
Get the right shoes!: This is a must, I know we are all on a budget, but a good pair of running sneakers can make all the difference, and last for long time. Most sporting goods stores have experienced reps to help in this process of learning which shoe is best for you.



Will I ever consider myself a runner? No, probably not. But hey, I am better than I was yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment