Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Top Five Superfoods



The weather is starting to warm up, the foliage is starting to bloom, and some are staring at their bikini and shorts drawer not quite ready to strip off the jeans and sweaters. In honor of both National Nutrition Month and the upcoming first day of Spring, I wanted to narrow down a basic top five must-have's from the grocery store. The reality is, I am 24 and single, therefore it's a little easier for me to get away with spending the cash when I am cooking for one. So, I wanted to keep the price range in mind and keep it simple. These five items won't break the bank, and can be used in various recipes. You won't see red meat or chicken on my list- sorry meat eaters! I stick to a pescetarian diet.



1. Salmon: I admit it, I am a total salmon junkie. Smoked for breakfast, baked or grilled for dinner, in a salad, in a wrap, over spinach. It's my absolute number one go-to. It's a lean fish packed with omega 3s fatty acids. The trick is to try and stick with the sockeye, and away from the farm raised options. It may cost you a couple extra bucks, but it's worth it for the nutrients. Unlike tuna, salmon is not high in mercury, so it's okay to incorporate it in your diet daily. Toss it in the oven with some lemon, dill, and garlic and you'll have a quick and healthy meal in under 30 minutes.

2. Eggs: I am sure most athletes can agree on the benefits of eating eggs. High protein, great energy, various ways of eating. However, I am a little unconventional with the egg, and I keep the yolk in. I know egg whites get a lot of hype because they contain less cholesterol, but the yolk also contains high levels of lutein and the nutritional values. I have had the argument with many professionals, and know that the egg yolk controversy is one better left for the Internet polls. 

3. Quinoa- Quinoa is my choice of grain. I try to add it to more dinner plates for an extra, healthy carbohydrate. It also contains nine essential amino acids, and is claimed to help with controlling belly fat. Like most carbs, the calorie count can get high in excess, so try to stick to 1/4 cup. I like to toss it in with shrimp and spinach for a mock pasta dinner dish. 

4. Berries - I live in New Jersey, we tend to be blueberry snobs… and luckily for good reason. Blueberries are packed full of antioxidants and only run you about 85 calories to a cup. They are an extremely popular superfood that supports metabolism and weight loss. I also love raspberries and blackberries for their low calorie and nutritional benefits as well. Try adding to your smoothies or yogurt for an extra sweetness. I also go for dark chocolate covered blueberries when I am craving that after dinner dessert. 

5. Greek Yogurt - Greek yogurt has been recently heavily commercialized and endorsed by nutritionists everywhere for its probiotic and digestion help and weight loss benefits. The problem with some of the yogurts on the market is their high sugar content. Try to stick to the basic non-fat unflavored greek yogurt and add a small amount of honey or blueberries to sweeten. It's a great breakfast or dessert choice, and helps with bloating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment